SUMMER INTERNSHIPS NOW AVAILABLE!
Are you interested in learning about and participating in state government?
Do you have a desire to serve your local communities?
Senator Loni Hancock (9th District) is currently accepting internship applications for Summer 2015.
The internship is based exclusively out of the District Office, but may require you to attend events and meetings in cities throughout the 9th District. The goal of the District Office internship program is to provide a well-rounded, hands-on experience of working in a state legislative office. Interns will be provided with the opportunity to take on a number of responsibilities and tasks that may include:
- Attending meetings and community functions throughout the district, both with and without staff and/or Senator Hancock
- Answering phone calls from constituents concerning questions about legislation, the legislative process and community resources
- Assisting staff with preparation for town halls/community events
- Creating and maintaining data bases
- Assisting constituents with their problems concerning state agency issues
- Organizing informational workshops for constituents on topical issues
- Reading/writing assignments on the California Legislature, legislative process and current issues in California
- Gathering background information/research for staff and/or the Senator
- Assisting staff with filing, office organization and sorting mail
- Preparing correspondence
Strong writing and verbal communication skills; enjoys working as part of a team; ability to multi-task; works well under pressure; a demonstrated interest in community service and/or participating in government/politics.
This is an unpaid internship.
Please be sure to download (below) the Internship Application and submit with the additional required materials.
The Summer 2015 program will begin Monday, June 8 and end Friday, August 14.
You must be able to commit 10-12 hours per week for the full duration of the program
Applications are due by 5 p.m. on FRIDAY, MARCH 20, 2015.
To obtain an application, please click on document below.
For questions or further information, please contact Melissa Male at:
Melissa.Male@sen.ca.gov | (510) 286-1333